Monday, August 29, 2011

To Elope or Not to Elope?

    That is the question that weighs on most couples' minds after the proposal. Not every girl has a notebook they have kept since grade school filled with pictures they have collected of fairy tale wedding ideas. And, most grooms are probably leaning toward trading in the traditional wedding for a dream vacation. Maybe the thought of being the center of attention gives you hives? Or, if you are paying for the wedding yourselves, why not go to a romantic setting, pledge your love to each other, and then celebrate at said location!? Remember, at the end of the day this whole shabang  is simply about two people coming together and becoming one unit.




 


ELOPING IDEAS! If they can afford it, your closest friends and family could join you for the ceremony, and after you return invite the rest of your crew to a party celebrating your marriage. 


   You could even show a movie of the big day and maybe some highlights from the honeymoon! (My husband seems to think I should remind everyone to keep it clean, but I think it goes without saying.)  If those near and dear to you can't tag along set up a camera and broadcast the wedding online or post the video on your wedding website or Facebook.


    We did not elope, and while our wedding was a relaxing mixture of traditional and informal, I'll admit several times during the last 4 months of my wedding planning I thought to myself - Why am I doing this!?! And at my most stressed moment, I confessed to my aunt, "I just can't wait for this all to be over!" She quickly countered with, "NO! Enjoy it because it will be over before you know it. Don't wish it away." Her usual wisdom helped me in the home stretch, because I realized that the secret to having a wedding to remember is to really love what you are doing. So, I thought about what I really wanted, and I figured out a way to have it all and fit it into my budget, and also I realized that this whole process would be as stressful as I made it. I decided that I really wanted to marry Andrew, and I really wanted a simple, intimate, garden wedding with a vintage flare in June for around $3,000.  And, I ended up married to my best friend on June 25th with a budget of $3,500, and it was a day I will never forget! (I also wanted awesome photographs which I got via the brilliance of Cami Wade. Below are two sneak peek photos from my wedding. More to come in the future!)
Romantic moment inside the Hawken House

If this weren't real I would make it up.


The bottom line is this - It is your wedding day
BE TRUE TO YOURSELVES,
LOVE WHAT YOU ARE DOING,
RELAX,
and ENJOY THE RIDE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment